Tuesday 23 March 2010

The Wooden Bull

Interview went well. The location was weird. The directions said 'left at traffic lights after the Inn and past the wooden bull'. So I found the inn, walked back to where the bus had dropped me off, wandered down this road where the only obvious building was a dairy, and then ended up at this weird farmers market. I found the door, walked in and there were a lot of older people in wellingtons and overalls, with a few young people in smart clothes lingering by the doors looking doubtful. I followed a couple of girls and found where I was meant to be and sat down to wait. A lot of the people waiting were really chatty, so we exchanged information about universities and wondered what the interview would be like. We were in groups of three, and they did ask some awkward questions. I made up a total bullshit lie on one of them, making my brother sound like some kind of hapless retard that I help out with rather than ignore. I panicked, okay? Anyway, it worked because as I was on the train back I got a phone call saying I'd gotten a place on the scheme, subject to my locating certain documents that I've lost and must immediately get replacements for. That is my task for tomorrow. Get them to resend a paper copy of my driving license, get a new National Insurance card and a bank statement sent to my Somerset address.
One of the girls from the interview was also heading to the train station, so it was that weird phenomenon that you sometimes see on public transport, where you can't quite tell if the two people in front or behind you are friends, but then one gets up and says 'nice to meet you,' and gets off the train. We had lunch and then she got on her train and I hung around for mine. She was very lovely, had gingery hair and freckles and had been travelling to all sorts of interesting places, such as India, and went to university in London. She'd come from the capital the night before the interview- way more hectic than my travel arrangements. She spoke very well, and seemed really enthusiastic. We sat in the little portable diner at the train station, drinking tea out of chunky 'Dave's Diner' mugs, her flipping through a copy of Heat or Hello, commenting every now and again, me apearing a little dense, asking 'who's that?' at every other picture she stopped on, the only person that I really recognised being Keanu Reeves; he had long hair in the picture, which looked odd. I think the girl's name was Rachel, but I am not certain.
We had a lecture by Gavin Smith this evening, he talked about islands as places of potential and as dystopias, and spoke a little about his book 'DogFellow's Ghost', which we are studying in class. It was very interesting. He was a good speaker and quite funny. There was free wine, but only a small glass, so no, that didn't alter my perception of the talk.
On the way to the bus I was stopped by a strange man who looked as though he was going to walk into me, but air-kissed the side of my face instead and walked off.
I've decided that I'm probably not going to do that Louis-meets-Azazel fic. I'm involved in an AU school!verse for Supernatural. I love my beta for it, she's really helpful, and says she will call me Cas because I don't understand any of her pop culture references; XD makes me feel kind of awesome instead of inadequate.
Now I must retire to bed as I have a poetry seminar tomorrow at 10.
For some reason the word 'dystopia' comes up as wrong on my spell checker. The suggested revision is 'dustpan'.

No comments:

Post a Comment